Friday, November 7, 2014

Now Officially In Our Care

What started nearly a year ago finally became a reality Tuesday. We had all of the paper work necessary to go to the orphanage and finally take the children into our care as their official parents. There were times in the past week honestly when I felt like this day was never going to arrive and from a child's perspective it can be even worse.

Each day they would ask me how many more days and all I could tell them was what I knew and the day I had been told. Having a definite date helped because it gave them something to count down to. When I left yesterday I told them to take a shower and be ready for today. They reminded me to bring their new clothes and the teachers kept asking me if I brought them coats. I think I met with their approval today when I showed up with not only new clothes, underwear and shoes but also with a thick coat for each and new cloves and toboggans.

The scene reminds me of a song by the Primitives, Title "I'm No Longer an Orphan." It states how grace showed up with mercy and adopted me. It says also my clothes are no longer worn and tattered because they gave me a new robe. This be a part of this again today puts things into perspective. Each of them came out of that orphanage with only the blankets we gave them earlier this year and what few personal possession they have managed to accumulate over the years. But for each what they brought out fit in a small plastic bag. When we are adopted into the family of God all of the baggage we have we need to leave behind. We don't need to bring any part of our old life with us, because that is a life we are leaving behind.

No comments: